- RSS Channel Showcase 6974684
- RSS Channel Showcase 3977302
- RSS Channel Showcase 6319497
- RSS Channel Showcase 7806959
Articles on this Page
- 03/23/13--14:54: _Five myths about Ch...
- 03/28/13--14:19: _What is Information...
- 03/28/13--18:11: _Buy your cyber weap...
- 03/30/13--11:55: _#whyaustin Texans m...
- 03/30/13--12:04: _“China has no cyber...
- 04/01/13--20:08: _April Fools
- 04/01/13--20:34: _Countries having an...
- 04/03/13--12:53: _Seeking IO Lessons ...
- 04/04/13--07:32: _North Korean Propag...
- 04/05/13--14:40: _Removing the Human ...
- 04/08/13--13:13: _Shipboard lasers pa...
- 04/08/13--13:41: _N.Korea ‘Confident’...
- 04/11/13--03:33: _About an Offensive ...
- 04/16/13--07:53: _Kudos to the Obama ...
- 04/17/13--07:56: _In Order To
- 04/19/13--13:54: _The Joy of e-Qip
- 04/25/13--14:08: _Talking Information...
- 04/28/13--05:46: _Do not go gentle in...
- 05/02/13--05:44: _National Park Servi...
- 05/07/13--11:27: _Classification of U...
- 03/23/13--14:54: Five myths about Chinese hackers – The Washington Post
- 03/28/13--14:19: What is Information Operations
- 03/30/13--11:55: #whyaustin Texans mock Kim Jong Un’s apparent plan to strike Austin
- 03/30/13--12:04: “China has no cyber warfare troops” and other laughable quotes
- 04/01/13--20:08: April Fools
- 04/01/13--20:34: Countries having an interest in this blog
- 04/03/13--12:53: Seeking IO Lessons Learned
- 04/04/13--07:32: North Korean Propaganda Website Hacked, Apparently by Anonymous
- 04/05/13--14:40: Removing the Human from IO
- 04/08/13--13:13: Shipboard lasers pass early tests, but work remains | Navy Times
- 04/08/13--13:41: N.Korea ‘Confident’ in Cyber Warfare Capabilities – The Chosun Ilbo
- 04/11/13--03:33: About an Offensive Cyber Strategy
- 04/16/13--07:53: Kudos to the Obama Administration for their Information Mastery
- 04/17/13--07:56: In Order To
- 04/19/13--13:54: The Joy of e-Qip
- 04/25/13--14:08: Talking Information Operations
- 04/28/13--05:46: Do not go gentle into that good night
- 05/02/13--05:44: National Park Service Classification System
- 05/07/13--11:27: Classification of Unclassified Material
ht to rf for pointing me to this article. Five myths about Chinese hackers By James Andrew Lewis, Published: March 22 http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/five-myths-about-chinese-hackers/2013/03/22/4aa07a7e-7f95-11e2-8074-b26a871b165a_story.html James Andrew Lewis is a senior fellow and director of the technology and public policy program at the Center for Strategic and International Studies. If you work in Washington — on the Hill [...]
Here is a typical first conversation I have with everyone I meet who works in the IO field. “Hi! My name is Joel, nice to meet you!” ‘Appropriate response’ ‘Appropriate small talk’. ‘Appropriate small talk’. Me: “When you say IO, what do you mean?” Answer: Full spectrum IO MISO/Psyop Cyber Military deception Electronic [...]
Buy your cyber weapon: Selling Excalibur cyber weapon for $1700 Submitted by CWZ on Wed, 03/27/2013 – 03:32 Start your own Cyberwar or Cyberconflict with 1700 dollars. The question for a decent and powerful cyber weapon is rising so I have decided to put my cyber weapon for sale. Do you want to hack SCADA [...]
Propaganda is usually serious, political or repugnant. My good friend, Dr. J. Michael Waller, says that ridicule is often an even more effective method of propaganda. Austinites must have listened, which has resulted in a coup for the city of Austin. You can’t buy this kind of marketing for a city for any amount of [...]
joelharding1234North Korea Kim Jong-un
This is one month old but I just wanted to highlight what I consider almost laughable propaganda. If they don’t have any cyber warfare soldiers, they have not been following their own doctrine, therefore someone should be forcibly retired from the military. During my next trip to China, would you please have someone tell [...]
Today is the first April Fools Day where I didn’t play a practical joke. This is, indeed, a sad occasion. A few years ago a friend and I released a mock Joint Publication of cyber terms, as in ‘cyber foxhold’, cyber this and cyber that… a few people actually read it and believed it. Until [...]
joelharding1234The April Fools
Oh, what sick and twisted minds we have. Okay, just me. But I get to spew forth facts and figures which I find fascinating. Tonight I was taking a shallow tour of all the statistics that WordPress offers me. Not a lot, really, but tonight I discovered how to get a synopsis of the viewers [...]
This old IO guy is… well, old. Or maybe I just feel that way today. I’ve been ‘doing’ IO since the mid-90s since the phrase Information Operations was first approved. I thought it was a fascinating concept and the potential is almost unlimited. I still feel that way today. More importantly, at least in my [...]
joelharding1234Lessons Learned (song)
Originally posted at http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f12_1365084142 North Korean Propaganda Website Hacked, Apparently by Anonymous Uriminzokkiri.com, the North Korean propaganda site, was hacked, it seems. As of posting, it is impossible to access the site. It’s gone dark. What’s more, Uriminzokkiri’s Twitter currently appears compromised and is tweeting, “Hacked” and “Tango Down” for various other North Korean propaganda [...]
A lot of money is spent by the US Department of Department of Defense, and IO offices around the world, to ‘do’ information operations. Sometimes it is called Information Operations, sometimes it is called Strategic Communication(s), International Relations, Public Relations or even propaganda by detractors. Thousand of manhours are devoted to developing a set of [...]
Directed Energy Weapon on ships successful! Shipboard lasers pass early tests, but work remains 2:30 PM, Apr 8, 2013 | Amazing Navy Laser Weapon System Shoots Down Drone: The Laser Weapon System (LaWS) is a technology demonstrator built by the Naval Sea Systems Command from commercial fiber solid state lasers. LaWS can be directed onto [...]
Editorial comment: Fairly good article, not entirely propaganda. The warfare of words between North Korea, South Korea and the United States (and the rest of the world) is… interesting. N.Korea ‘Confident’ in Cyber Warfare Capabilities Originally published at: http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2013/04/08/2013040801313.html North Korean leader Kim Jong-un in February expressed confidence in the regime’s cyber warfare capabilities against [...]
joelharding1234Chosun Ilbo (January 1, 1940)
Offensive cyber strategy… Putting together an offensive cyber strategy is difficult if one does not have a military background, know the latest buzzwords and/or have a doctorate in an aspect of offensive warfare in cyberspace (could range from National Security Strategy to Advanced Persistent Threats to Information Technology). The folks that work at the US [...]
In the aftermath of the bombing of the Boston Marathon yesterday, 15 April 2013, chaos ensued. Pictures went up online. Videos were posted quickly. Within minutes the conspiracy theories started popping up. Accusations were made. The New York Post withdrew a story of a possible suspect from a foreign nation. The networks and many other [...]
joelharding1234Official photographic portrait of US President...
In order to. Such a small, powerful, necessary phrase. It is often shortened to “why”. As a former operational planner we always had to construct a mission statement. We included the big five: Who, What, Where, When and Why. By clearly defining those terms we ensured clarity when developing a plan. We would often revisit [...]
joelharding1234The leading women of the 2009 Boston Marathon....
Doing the paperwork required for a security investigation has always been horrible. I recall in 1988, while I was stationed in Germany, filling out the paperwork. I recall being asked questions about things I never knew about, nor, quite frankly, did I care. But there it was, ‘Birth County’. Well, I was born in Wilmington, [...]
joelharding1234Second Draft. The first number drawn was 246, ...
I had a wonderful meeting today with someone who ‘gets it’ when it comes to Information Operations. Full spectrum, A to Z IO. Not the old five components. Not just cyber. Not just EW. Not just deception or OPSEC or MISO. IO. Plain and simple. IO in all its glory, warts and all. I once [...]
joelharding1234Shoulder Strap from an infantry colonel in the...
“Do not go gentle into that good night” -Welsh poet Dylan Thomas Information Operations, Public Diplomacy and Strategic Communication are usually about quietly sharing the truth, a message or, in other words, gently persuading people of other nations that they want to help the United States, that they should be understanding of our needs, wants, [...]
This morning I was sent an article by a friend about facial recognition software that was being considered for use by the security people at the Statue of Liberty, here. Yesterday, as I was writing the blog about security clearances I stumbled across some new security classifications, which made sense. But now, somehow, it seems [...]
joelharding1234Logo of the United States National Park Service
I’ve been doing a review of unclassified material to see if it should or might be classified. What a revealing story. I accessed BUNCH of files dealing with Electronic Warfare. The files are stored online from EW conferences prior to 2012. I only had to click on the link and download the files. By themselves, [...]